Delicious is an understatement for this dessert. The Hibiscus & Orange Syrup can lend itself to many different desserts and perhaps even a chicken dish.
Ingredients – Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Hibiscus Flower Tea
- Zest and juice of a small orange
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 teaspoons corn flour to thicken the syrup
- 1 cup boiled water
Method – Syrup
- Make the hibiscus tea by infusing the flowers in the boiled water for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add to a small pot.
- Add the orange zest and juice, the maple syrup and cloves and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat. Mix the cornflower with a small amount of water to make a runny paste, then add it to the pot stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes clear.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Ingredients – Baked Pears
- 4 ripe pears, peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
Method – Baked Pears
- Carefully remove the core leaving the stalk intact.
- Mix the almonds and dates together.
- Stuff each pear with the almond and date mixture, packing it firmly into the pear.
- Place in a baking dish and add the butter to the dish.
- Bake at 180C for approximately 1 hour – take care to check them regularly to ensure they don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and arrange on serving dishes. Spoon over the syrup.
- Serve with Cointreau-infused chocolate avocado mousse and whipped cream.